Measuring digital campaign effectiveness for educational campaign Sandy Hook Promise
Our client, BBDO NY, wanted to measure how an anti-gun violence message was being received amongst a target audience of teachers & administrators, school children, parents and the wider public. Central to the Sandy Hook Promise (SHP) campaign was a :30 video, designed to drive interest and intent to support SHP in numerous ways.
We worked with BBDO NY to understand campaign effectiveness and identify further opportunities to optimize media pressure on this distressing and critical topic.
There were five desired outcomes:
- Download information to prevent a shooting
- Drive SHP website sign ups
- Grow the number of volunteers in SHP programs
- Increase donations to SHP
- Organize a SHP training program in a school
We found those exposed to the campaign to be significantly more likely to take the five key actions compared to those who had not seen it.
Key finding is that low content enjoyment is accepted given the gravity of the content. The creative stands out as different, easy to understand and generating high levels of interest and intent to support SHP.
How we got there
We ran an online survey of parents and students and general audience and compared the results to our online video norms. We discovered:
- Exposure to the campaign drove statistically significant increases in awareness and familiarity for SHP. Campaign exposure increases donation consideration and preference across both students/parents and the general audience.
- The campaign has the strongest impact on key metrics for SHP, but also has a positive halo effect on other anti-violence organizations.
- Exposure to the campaign provides a clear lift among parents and students – as well as the general audience – at nearly all levels of the brand funnel.
- Campaign exposure results in significantly higher likelihood of supporting SHP for both audiences.
- After forced exposure to the video, the education approach is strongest for both audiences.
Optimize media impact and effectiveness
Researching the campaign effectiveness of a distressing topic that impacts parents, students and the general population
- Revealed impact of the campaign on brand metrics
- Identified the key messages being communicated
- Analyzed the impact of the :30 video
- Evaluated the media and creative strategy
- Suggested routes to further optimize the media plan
The creative stands out as different, easy to understand and generating high levels.